Monday, January 31, 2005

Philippine Cadet on Japanese Soil (Part 2)


Hosted by Photobucket.com

The Baka Brothers

In Filipino, "Baka" means "Cow".In Japanese, it means "Stupid".

We were called the "Baka Brothers", my foster brother and I. We entered the National Defense Academy and we stayed in the same room, had the same classes, have the same foster parents, and had the same problem... we cannot understand Japanese. If you look at us, it is impossible for us to be brothers. We are complete opposites... height, color, we lived on opposite parts of the world (he in Romania, and me from the Philippines)hence the difference in cultures, we have different tastes in food, different views in life, and the list goes on. But we are brothers, not only because we have the same foster parents, but because we treat each other like real brothers. We look after each other's back, listen to each other's mourns, and laugh at each other's jokes.

For two years, we belonged to the same company and we were shouted at when we made mistakes, we were laughed at when we told jokes, or just stared at because we were just plain strange. For two years, we kept guard of each other's back as we were wading through our plebehood years, and we still are.

Then the time came when we were separated. He was assigned to another batallion which made it hard for us to keep in touch. But still, he was still there when I needed him, and I tried my best to be there for him when he needed me.

We spend the holidays together with our foster parents, we dived together the seas of Okinawa and Kerama Islands, we scaled the mountains and temples of Nikko, we rode together the Guiness Book of World Record holder of the fastest and the longest roller coaster near Mt. Fuji, fished in a boat on the shores of Chiba, and a lot more. We've done a lot of things together, but the one thing we wanted to do but until now failed to do, is to be drunk together!

Only more than a year to go before we graduate, and will go separate ways. But we will be brothers for life. I remember him sending me an email about how he looks up to me, how I taught him things, and how I made him the cadet he is now. But the thing is, I feel the same for him, and I thank him for being a brother to me.

Long live the Baka Brothers!

1 Comments:

At 11:46 AM, Blogger Cristina G. said...

alvic!! guapo nyo pareho.. Ü

 

Post a Comment

<< Home