Sunday, September 09, 2007

Death of a Comrade

The death of 2Lt Ariel Toledo of the Philippine Air Force is an event full of emotions and feelings. For one, I had mixed emotions of sorrow, regret, as well as happiness.

I could not remember a funeral I have attended that I cried. It does not mean I don't feel the sadness of losing my love ones, but I just don't want to dwell on the idea that I had lost someone... that's too selfish of me. Rather, I would like to think that all the sufferings that person is experiencing while he/she was living is finally over. I would like to think that that person doesn't want to see us crying for their "loss", rather I would like to remember those happy moments each and everyone experienced with that person. Hence, laughter not tears.

Anyway, the death of my 'mistah' made me rethink some things about life -- when it will cease, what's really important, how would other people remember me -- things like that. But most importantly, I thought how precious life's moments should be treasured, and every encounter with a friend, even with an enemy, should become a learning experience.

Ariel's journey is now over, ours' still continuing. Let us take Ariel's death not as a loss, but let us gain from it by living our lives to its fullest and appreciating each and every moment with each other.

I salute you, mistah.

4 Comments:

At 7:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. I from Ilocos Sur but in Manila for the weekend. Were you there this morning during his funeral?

 
At 7:39 AM, Blogger alvic said...

Hi there. I wasn't able to attend his funeral just as most of my classmates here in Lipa. We weren't allowed to go there but we were there while he was in Villamor the past week.

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I just saw the mmk...your mistahs story,I knew it was on air years ago but I don't remember how it ends...and now when I read this,.. breaks my heart...:-( huh! What a story!

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I just saw the mmk...your mistahs story,I knew it was on air years ago but I don't remember how it ends...and now when I read this,.. breaks my heart...:-( huh! What a story!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home